Friday, November 18, 2011

Bread

Fresh hot bread. It's too tempting to resist breaking a piece from it and tasting it. Here are some incomplete childish memories about bread.

I have a very vague memory of me and my mother buying bread from the bakery in a gloomy day and heading to the bus station near it to go home. In jordan I remember walking to the bakery with my sister, proud to be running an errand for the family when we were only 9 years old.

Once I went to get some for breakfast. Standing in line waiting and suddenly yellow scenery is all around me. An early memory of my morning dizziness. What happened next? That's all I remember.

There's one set back with bread though. The horrible sound of two loaves scratching together. I'd cringe when I hear it. Two set backs not one in fact. The second is touching it when it's covered with flour. I am weird perhaps. But those things are what I remember from my childhood. With bread. My mother would shake off the flour on the bread before giving it to me because she knew how much I couldn't stand.

Today they were talking about bread. El9amoon el3era8i to be specific. How it's been so long since they've tasted it. That brought back all the memories, perhaps insignificant to you but I am attached to any memory I have as a kid specially when I was in Iraq. And to my quirks as a kid.

1 comment:

  1. I do find your quirks to be funny, but it all adds up to the person I love very much. Maybe one day we can have a flour fight and you can come to love the dusty bread :) <3

    ReplyDelete